Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lucile & Noble

I've written about Lucile and Noble before.
They are a dynamic and attractive couple in their 80s who inspire me.
Lucile sews, knits and crochets. She is very, very active and talented.
Today I met them in town, and picked up a donation of 13 quilts and one blanket, all made by Lucile. The variety of fabrics is going to please a lot of children!
Lucile also donated three enormous bags of yarn that she received from a neighbor.
If any of you needs yarn in order to make a blanket for Seattle Children's Hospital, or knows someone who needs yarn for making blankets, please leave a comment here.
It's all free.
Thank you, Lucile and Noble!

2 comments:

  1. Karen, can you direct me to the guidelines for size and fibre content for the quilts as well as the knitted blankets? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear CCK,

    There is no set pattern, but we usually make our blankets & quilts 36" - 54" in length by 48" - 56" in width (the width of the bolt of fabric). Knitted/crocheted blankets can be whatever size you choose. They need to be machine washable, so cotton or synthetic yarn (not wool) is best.

    The quilts are made with cotton fabrics. I make mine using quilting cotton on one side and cotton flannel on the other, with pre-packaged satin blanket binding around the outside. I use thick fiberfill batting; some quilters prefer to use thin.
    On the right sidebar on this blog, you will see links to free patterns under "Sew Blankets/Quilts," "Knit Blankets" and "Crochet Blankets." If you click on the links, they will take you to the free patterns.

    Thank you for asking. If I didn't answer completely enough, leave your questions in another comment, and I will give you more info. You can see from this posting that we have been given LOTS of free yarn, so if you live nearby and would like to knit or crochet for the guild, let me know, and I can supply you with yarn.

    ReplyDelete